Silver Moon publishing company has commissioned you to design 3 alternative front covers for a book entitled (select from list below) written by (see list below)
You will be expected to decide on the genre of the book i.e. fiction or fact based (some of the above titles could be suitable for both i.e. the Vanishing Landscape could be a novel about a dysfunctional family who lives in a cottage at the edge of the sea cliff, which is slowly crumbling away or it could be a fact based book written by an environmentalist about the how planning laws over the last 20 years has seen vast swathes of greenbelt land lost to the town planner)
The richest fashion models apart of London’s highly competitive business, getting noticed often required a great deal of resources. However being successful in the world of fashion comes with strings attached. Models taken away one by one by an undisclosed collection of individuals. Men and women taken from their homes and jobs are then ambushed into an obscure colt. Day by day death follows them like a shadow lingering behind them, watching, waiting and growing closer with every breath they take. But are they really the target?
Book cover research
For these three pictures I printed them out on photographic paper to then burn the image effectively, I did this because I felt printing on normal cartridge paper wouldn’t have the same effect that I had in mind.
I think the method of burning worked well as it enabled the picture to be taken a step further, as parts of the picture has been completely burnt away
I did more research into distressed imagery and was inspired by an unnamed artist on Tumblr. So I decided to implement these ideas into my work: I did this by printing my photographs on photographic paper and bleached the image. To make some parts of the photograph fade away and some completely erased out of the photo.
Whilst photographing this set of photographs I took technical considerations in order to insure my work was visually accurate. For example when I photographed the hands I ensured I had lighting to highlight the relevant areas and to enhance this I had to make sure the whole subject matter was in focus to once again highlight all detail in the lines on the palm of the hand and the creases within the skin. Furthermore in the first image I made sure the image had the correct balance of light in order to over expose certain areas. I used the burn and dodge tool in all of these images to darken the shadows and to brighten the highlights, I did this to create a strong contrast which I feel makes these images aesthetically pleasing.
My intentions for this set of photographs were to convey obscured information, I wanted there to be a message within the image that is not clearly expressed or understood. This is why in the first image I stitched into it, to demonstrate a sense of keeping something from being seen. I then used shredded pieces of documents in another image to represent information being taken apart making it harder to define. Another method I used was Copy-dex; this process consisted of applying the glue onto my photograph, applying fabric over it and leaving it to set for thirty minutes, as it dried the glue then firmed a flexible rubbery bond with the fabric. I then applied water over the image and this was then the start of the process where I was able to substantially ruin the image, by rubbing away its physical qualities. The purpose of this was to once again obscure information within the image and I feel this process successfully allowed me to do this.
I used formal elements such as color, composition, angles, texture, pattern, depth of field and layering. To strengthen these images and convey parts of the synopsis. For example: in the first image I created shapes whilst stitching into the image, the use of lines shows a sense of confusion, due to some lines not meeting or having an end to them, I did this to demonstrate that maybe there isn’t an end to the horror and confusion within my storyline. The use of lines built up irregular shapes this is to demonstrate the lies which were told in the story, something that is irregular does not follow the expected pattern and that thing is misshapen. I also used layering to create a new texture on my photographs strengthening its appearance.